The GDPR Cookie consent is required by law in many jurisdictions, Started from the European Union, United States, and to the globe. It is the process of obtaining users' permission before storing their data, which can be used later for personalized Advertising.
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in the EU requires websites to obtain explicit consent from users before setting any non-essential cookies.
Cookies can also be used for various purposes, like tracking user preferences, remembering login information, retargeting them via Ads platform, and collecting analytics data.
- It respects the user's privacy. Users have the right to know what information is being collected about them and how it is being used. By obtaining consent, businesses are showing users that they respect their privacy and are committed to using cookies responsibly.
- Helps to build trust between businesses and their customers. When users know that they have control over their own privacy, they are more likely to trust the businesses they visit. This can lead to increased customer loyalty and engagement.
- Support online businesses to avoid legal problems. In some jurisdictions, businesses can be fined for placing cookies on users' devices without their consent. By obtaining consent, businesses can reduce their risk of legal liability.
Example of cookie consent banner look like
- Compliance with privacy laws: Cookie consent banners are required by law in many countries and regions, including the European Union and the United States. By using a cookie consent banner, you can ensure that your website complies with these laws and avoid costly fines.
- Increased user trust: Cookie consent banners show users that you are transparent about how you collect and use their data. This can help to build trust with your users and make them more likely to engage with your website.
- Better user experience: Cookie consent banners allow users to choose which cookies they want to accept. This gives users more control over their privacy and can improve their overall experience on your website.
- Improved website performance: Cookie consent banners can help to improve the performance of your website by reducing the number of cookies that are loaded. This can lead to faster loading times and a better user experience.
- Increased revenue: Cookie consent banners can help you to increase revenue by allowing you to collect and use data for targeted advertising. However, it is important to note that you must obtain explicit consent from users before doing so.
Below are the methods to implement the cookie consent using Google Tag Manager (GTM):
- Choose a cookie consent solution: There are several cookie consent solution tools available in the market each offering its own set of features and capabilities to help websites comply with privacy regulations like GDPR. Here is the list of top tools you can choose as per your business needs.
- Install the cookie consent solution on your website: This will involve adding a code snippet to your website's header or in the footer section.
- Configure GTM to collect the user's consent choice: Once the cookie consent solution is installed, GTM configuration will collect the user's consent choice and store it in the dataLayer.
- Configure your tags & setup in GTM: After the user's decision is saved in the data layer, you can set up your tags to activate only when the user has agreed to it.
Once cookie consent GDPR mechanism is correctly leveraged, it offers transparency, choice, and control to users, ensuring that their data is handled lawfully and ethically. With this, you can target your right set of audiences who has actually accepted the consent and ignore others who has declined.
You’re now ready to set your website up for full GDPR compliance.
Want to simplify the process and implement it to your website correctly?
AnalyticsLiv can help you out!